Saturday 9 July 2011

Mass mating followed by a sting

Today we have said goodbye to our John Deere ride on mower, we decided that it wasn't really going to be much use to us when we move onto the farm so we have sold it.

Before it went off to it's new owner, we have cut three of the four stud strips.  I think Paul wanted one last play.  We have a big flail mower for the quad and hopefully in time for next year we'll have a topper for the tractor so we can make our own hay - assuming we've got into the tractor by then!!

We had a busy morning with matings today, Gianmarco's Masterpiece, Legend of Spartacus, Loki and Tenzing all got a go.  As is always the case Loki takes the crown for the longest stamina.  Hopefully all four girls will take, two were on their second sitting but all the other 9 already mated spat off.

On his was back to the field Loki got stung by a wasp, as we were walking down the road all of a sudden he started jumping about and pulling.  It's not like him and as I went to shorten his lead rein I saw the wasp on his bottom lip.  Being all brave (wasps scare me to death) I went to knock it off and I noticed it had left it's sting in him.

Poor thing wasn't too keen on staying still for me to pull it out but with the sting removed he soon seemed to forget about it and happily trotted back to the field.  I thought his lip would swell but it wasn't too bad at all.

1 comment:

Zanzibah Alpacas said...

Poor Loki....getting stung after his romantic liasion.....what a way to end the day......Jayne